- XSR family LED lighting
- Evolved design details
- 689 cc, DOHC, 4-valve / cylinder, liquid-cooled, inline-twin powerplant
- Offset, ceramic composite plated cylinder with lightweight forged pistons
- CP2 crankshaft design with high tech "fracture split" connecting rods
- Compact 6 speed transmission with overdrive 6th gear
- Tapered handlebar
- Low 835 mm (32.9") seat height
- ABS brakes
- Neo-retro "authentic sports" body design
Slim, compact, 689cc, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid-cooled, 20 degree inclined, inline twin cylinder engine.
The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low & mid-range torque with very linear throttle response. This engine has an incredible reliability record and is designed to maximize riding fun in the real world.
4-valve, downdraft style combustion chamber with 11.5:1 compression ratio.
- excellent torque output... especially in the low to mid rpm range
- 4-valve design maximizes flow into & out of combustion chamber
- 31.5 mm intake & 26.5 mm exhaust valves
- stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment & carburized tips for excellent durability & wear resistance
Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms. * Lightweight hollow camshafts.
- cam profiles are designed to accentuate low to mid-range torque & power in the most commonly used rpm range (3,000 to 6,500 rpm).
- excellent "ride-ability"
270 degree "CrossPlane Concept" crankshaft with an "uneven" firing order provides a strong feeling of acceleration & great traction.
- design reduces inertia torque while emphasizing linear torque
- design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range
- CP Concept offers "ride ability that allows the rider to control the machine at will."
- engine design allows a whole new level of "rider - machine communication"
Lightweight gear driven "coupling force balancer" reduces engine vibration for excellent comfort. * High tech, "fracture split" connecting rods feature a "nut less" design.
- lower end "cap" of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are "split" apart using a special fracturing process & then machined
- design aids in establishing true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads
- design aids in fast engine response & reduces mechanical vibration
- excellent durability
Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses "liner less" bores.
- ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight
- excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery
- coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
Offset cylinder design.
- cylinder is "offset" relative to the crank (toward exhaust side)
- reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output & excellent fuel economy
One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly.
- superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member)
- reduces weight
- engine is a stressed member for increased chassis rigidity
"Closed loop" 38 mm Mikuni throttle body fuel injection system.
- system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & idle speed controller (ISC)
- 12 hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization
- system is "tuned" to provide excellent "ride ability" & "linear" throttle control.
- "closed loop system" uses an oxygen sensor to "sniff" spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions
- fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
Compact Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
- utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection & ignition processes
- compact design reduces weight.
Air box design features dual intakes.
- reduces intake noise
- viscous paper type air filter is utilized
Compact, 6-speed transmission.
- Tri-axis design "stacks" input/output shafts centralizing mass
- overall engine size is shorter front to back allowing the engineers the freedom to place the engine in the frame for optimum front to rear weight balance
- transmission ratios are designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine
- specially chosen gear ratios means fewer gear changes
- 6th gear is an over drive gear reducing engine rpms at highway speeds for a comfortable ride
Compact, clutch design with light clutch lever pull. * Stylish, compact, low mounted, 2 into 1 exhaust system.
- triple expansion muffler design with 3-way honeycomb catalyzer reduces exhaust emissions
- low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light weight feeling
Lightweight, vertical flow flat radiator with ring type cooling fan.
- ring type cooling fan pulls more air than a normal non-ring type fan
- stylish aluminum rad covers & protective mess front grill are standard
Liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life.
Convenient spin-on type oil filter & easy access drain plug for fast, easy oil changes.
Convenient oil level sight glass.
Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI).
- produces a strong spark for fast starts
- provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
High performance direct ignition coils (ignition coil is built into the spark plug caps).
- reduces weight & complexity
AC Magneto produces 410 watts of power @ 5,000rpm. * Air Injection System (AIS... not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions.
Revised cockpit layout with integrated headlight
Diamond-type, high tensile steel backbone type frame.
- optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling & excellent stability
- engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame
- compact wheelbase & light weight chassis design provide a responsive & engaging ride
Upright, comfortable riding position is a key feature of the XSR700.
Key chassis geometry figures include:
- 1405mm (55.3") wheelbase
- 25 degrees of rake & 90mm of trail
- chassis dimensions & design centralizes mass & lowers centre of gravity for light, agile handling
Short design, high tensile steel "gull wing" style swingarm.
- 530 mm short design swingarm enhances the connection between rider & machine
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance
- excellent rear wheel traction & control
41mm conventional style fork.
- 130 mm (5.1") of wheel travel
Lightweight, aluminum upper and lower triple clamps. * Adjustable link-type Monocross rear suspension.
- 130 mm (5.1") of wheel travel
- horizontally mounted rear shock can be adjusted for spring pre-load
- adjustment allows the rider to tailor pre-load settings to match rider weight or load
ABS equipped dual 282mm floating wave-style front discs & ultra-rigid 4-piston monoblock calipers.
- excellent stopping power & control with good lever feedback
ABS equipped 245mm wave-style rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type Nissin caliper. * Anti-lock braking system front & rear (ABS).
- controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass
- when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up
- ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels.
- lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension & handling characteristics
- front rim size is MT3.50-17 fitted with a 120/70R17 tubeless tire
- rear rim size is MT5.50-17 fitted with a 180/55R17 tubeless tire
Conventional, tapered handlebar.
- lightweight & strong
- offers a comfortable, upright riding position for excellent riding comfort
- traditional design allows easy replacement to a different "bend" if desired
14-litre fuel tank with replaceable aluminum tank covers.
- slim design with great knee grip
- slim design combines with low seat height for a light, agile feel & increased rider confidence
- reserve portion of the tank is 2.7 litres (low fuel light illuminates)
- steel tank is covered by three easy to replace aluminum panels, significantly reducing costs in the event of damage
Stylish, textured 1 piece rider & passenger seat. Rider seat height is 835 mm (32.9").
- offer excellent comfort
- narrow design rider seat makes it easier to touch feet flat on the ground
Traditional / retro round design, liquid crystal digital meter.
- functions (all digital) include bar-style tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometres since fuel went on reserve), clock, gear indicator, instant & average fuel consumption, ECO indicator & more
- full range of warning & indicator lights
- background illumination is adjustable
Compact handlebar switch gear.
- starting function is integrated into the engine kill switch
- passing flash button is provided
Neo-retro style 60/55 watt halogen headlight with retro style aluminum headlight brackets / stays.
- highlights the XSR700's "neo-retro authentic sports styling"
Vintage style 19 LED rear tail light. * Neo-retro "authentic sports" body design.
- front fender with aluminum stays, aluminum side covers & rear fender highlight the XSR's retro styling roots
- lightweight aluminum footrest mounting brackets & heel guards
- 5-position adjustable front brake lever
- fold out under seat bungee cord fastener straps
- brilliant LED rear tail light with unique running / brake light display
- lockable steering
- durable "O" ring drive chain
- 1 piece chain guard & inner rear fender
- excessive lean angle engine kill switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem